A lot of dentists advise you a million odd things. They tell you to get fillings done or scaling/cleaning done. They may tell you that you need teeth replaced. However a great many forget to tell you - that a lot of dental problems can be prevented. A little care, the correct brushing technique and a regular check up can prevent a host of dental disease.
So even if no one has ever explained to you the correct technique - it is never too late to learn.
Here's a link to the correct brushing technique:
As shown in the video we don't really need fancy brushes and expensive toothpastes. Any brush or paste from a standard company will do the job. All you really need is the correct technique.
Along with the watching the video here is a list of a few things you can do to keep your teeth healthy:
- your brush every three months irrespective of how new it looks
- You don't need more than a pea sized blob of toothpaste.
- Press the paste into the brush/or tap the brush so that the paste goes down between the bristles.
- Do not exert excessive pressure as you can damage your teeth and gums.
- It is recommended that you use a SOFT bristle brush unless specified by your dentist.
- . Clean your tongue.
- Massage your gums with your fingers gently.
- Not all patients require a mouthwash. If you are using one or want to use one - make sure you speak to your dentists about it. OTC mouthwashes are a dime a dozen - some of them have a few side effects. So make sure that you speak to your dentist before using one long term.
- . Flossing is an ideal way to supplement your brushing however if you are not going to do it regularly it doesn't have much value.
So Happy Brushing you pearly whites :)